Nestled along the scenic coast of southern Maine, Biddeford is a charming town that often escapes the spotlight despite its rich history, vibrant community, and picturesque surroundings. If you’re planning a trip to this hidden gem, you’re in for a treat. From historical landmarks to outdoor adventures and culinary delights, Biddeford offers a diverse range of activities for every traveler. Here’s a guide to some of the must-visit attractions and things to do in Biddeford, Maine.
- Visit the Biddeford Mills Historic District: Start your journey through Biddeford’s past by exploring the Biddeford Mills Historic District. Once a thriving industrial hub, this area has been revitalized with a mix of residential, commercial, and cultural spaces. Take a leisurely stroll through the historic brick buildings, and don’t forget to snap some photos of the picturesque Saco River.
- Relax at the Biddeford Pool: Biddeford Pool, a tranquil coastal village, is perfect for those seeking a peaceful retreat. Enjoy a day of relaxation by the water, take a swim, or explore the rocky shoreline. Birdwatchers will appreciate the diverse bird species that inhabit the area. Biddeford Pool offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
- Explore the Saco Bay Trails: Outdoor enthusiasts will find plenty to love in Biddeford’s extensive trail system. The Saco Bay Trails offer a variety of options for hiking and biking, with scenic views of the coast and marshlands. Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or a casual walker, these trails provide an excellent opportunity to connect with nature.
- Discover the Heart of Downtown: Biddeford’s downtown area has undergone a renaissance, with unique shops, galleries, and eateries lining the streets. Spend an afternoon exploring local boutiques, where you can find one-of-a-kind treasures and handmade goods. Don’t forget to grab a cup of coffee at one of the charming cafes and soak in the town’s welcoming atmosphere.
- Visit the Saco Museum: Just a short drive away in neighboring Saco, the Saco Museum is a cultural gem worth exploring. Housed in a historic building, the museum showcases a diverse collection of art, artifacts, and exhibits that highlight the region’s rich heritage.
- Dine on Fresh Seafood: Biddeford’s coastal location means that seafood is a local specialty. Indulge your taste buds with the freshest catches at one of the town’s seafood restaurants. From lobster rolls to clam chowder, the culinary scene in Biddeford is sure to satisfy seafood lovers.
- Biddeford City Theater: Embrace the arts at the historic Biddeford City Theater. Dating back to 1860, this theater hosts a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts. Check the schedule to see if there’s a live show during your visit, and immerse yourself in Biddeford’s cultural scene.
- University of New England Art Gallery: Art enthusiasts shouldn’t miss the University of New England Art Gallery. Located in Biddeford, the gallery features rotating exhibits showcasing the work of local and international artists. It’s a great place to appreciate contemporary art and expand your cultural horizons.
- Day Trip to Kennebunkport: Biddeford’s proximity to Kennebunkport makes it an ideal base for a day trip. Explore the charming streets of Kennebunkport, visit the iconic Walker’s Point, the summer home of the Bush family, and indulge in delicious seafood at the town’s waterfront restaurants.
- Biddeford’s Farmers’ Market: Experience the local flavors of Biddeford by visiting the farmers’ market. Held regularly, the market features fresh produce, artisanal goods, and handmade crafts. Engage with local farmers and vendors to get a taste of the community’s commitment to sustainable living.
- Ferry Beach State Park: Nature lovers will appreciate a visit to Ferry Beach State Park. This coastal park offers sandy beaches, dunes, and nature trails. It’s an excellent spot for a relaxing picnic, beachcombing, or simply enjoying the beauty of the Maine coastline.
- Participate in a Lobster Boat Tour: Gain a deeper understanding of Maine’s lobster industry by embarking on a lobster boat tour. Several local operators offer guided tours where you can learn about lobstering firsthand, see traps being pulled from the ocean, and even enjoy a freshly caught lobster.
- Attend a Local Event or Festival: Check the local events calendar for festivals and events happening during your visit. Biddeford hosts various community events, from music festivals to craft fairs, providing an opportunity to mingle with locals and experience the town’s lively atmosphere.
- Golf at Dutch Elm Golf Course: Enjoy a round of golf surrounded by the scenic beauty of Biddeford at Dutch Elm Golf Course. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or a casual player, the well-maintained course offers a relaxing and enjoyable day outdoors.
- Biddeford Ice Arena: If you’re visiting during the colder months, consider lacing up your skates and enjoying some ice skating at the Biddeford Ice Arena. It’s a family-friendly activity that adds a touch of winter fun to your Biddeford experience.
Biddeford, Maine, may not be the most well-known destination in New England, but its blend of history, natural beauty, and community spirit make it a perfect spot for those seeking an off-the-beaten-path adventure. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying a peaceful coastal retreat, Biddeford has something for everyone. Plan your visit and uncover the treasures of this hidden gem on the Maine coast.