Glen Ellyn, Illinois, nestled in the heart of DuPage County, is a charming village that boasts a rich history, picturesque landscapes, and a vibrant community spirit. Whether you’re a local resident or a visitor passing through, Glen Ellyn offers a plethora of activities to suit every interest. In this guide, we’ll take you through an exploration of the best things to do in Glen Ellyn, promising a delightful and memorable experience.
- Visit the Scenic Lake Ellyn Park: Start your journey with a visit to Lake Ellyn Park, a serene oasis in the heart of Glen Ellyn. Enjoy a leisurely stroll around the lake, take in the breathtaking views, or have a picnic in the well-maintained green spaces. The park often hosts events and festivals, so check the local calendar for any exciting happenings during your visit.
- Explore the Glen Ellyn Historical Society: Immerse yourself in the village’s history by paying a visit to the Glen Ellyn Historical Society. The Stacy’s Tavern Museum, a beautifully preserved 19th-century stagecoach inn, offers a glimpse into the past. Learn about the area’s pioneers and the development of this quaint village through engaging exhibits and guided tours.
- Shop and Dine in Downtown Glen Ellyn: Downtown Glen Ellyn is a charming district filled with boutique shops, cozy cafes, and diverse restaurants. Spend an afternoon exploring the unique storefronts, where you can find everything from handmade crafts to high-end fashion. After shopping, treat yourself to a delicious meal at one of the local eateries offering a variety of cuisines to satisfy every palate.
- Attend a Performance at the McAninch Arts Center: Culture enthusiasts will appreciate the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage. Check the schedule for live performances, including theater productions, concerts, and dance shows. The center showcases a range of talent, from local performers to internationally acclaimed artists, providing a diverse cultural experience.
- Hike the Illinois Prairie Path: Nature lovers can explore the outdoors by hiking or biking along the Illinois Prairie Path. This scenic trail winds through Glen Ellyn and offers a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Enjoy the beauty of the local flora and fauna as you traverse this well-maintained path.
- Attend Glen Ellyn’s Annual Festival of the Arts: Plan your visit around Glen Ellyn’s Festival of the Arts, a celebration of creativity and community. The festival typically features art exhibits, live performances, and interactive activities for all ages. It’s a fantastic opportunity to immerse yourself in the local arts scene and connect with fellow enthusiasts.
- Glen Ellyn Public Library: For book enthusiasts or those looking for a quiet spot to relax, the Glen Ellyn Public Library is a haven of knowledge and tranquility. Browse through an extensive collection of books, attend literary events, or simply find a cozy corner to read and unwind.
- Glen Oak Country Club: Golf enthusiasts can tee off at the Glen Oak Country Club. This private club offers a beautifully landscaped 18-hole golf course, providing a challenging yet enjoyable experience for players of all skill levels. Enjoy a round of golf surrounded by lush greenery and scenic views.
- Attend a Workshop at The Cleve Carney Museum of Art: The Cleve Carney Museum of Art, located at the College of DuPage, not only features compelling art exhibits but also hosts workshops and classes. Join a painting session, sculpture class, or any other creative workshop to unleash your artistic side under the guidance of skilled instructors.
- Glen Ellyn Park District Events: Keep an eye on the events organized by the Glen Ellyn Park District. From outdoor concerts in the park to family-friendly festivals, the park district frequently hosts community events that cater to a variety of interests. Check their calendar for upcoming happenings during your visit.
- Day Trip to Morton Arboretum: Just a short drive away from Glen Ellyn, Morton Arboretum in Lisle is a vast outdoor space featuring an impressive collection of trees and plants. Explore the beautifully landscaped gardens, hike the scenic trails, and engage in seasonal events and activities.
- Take a Cooking Class at Marcel’s Culinary Experience: Marcel’s Culinary Experience in Glen Ellyn offers hands-on cooking classes for food enthusiasts. Learn new culinary skills, discover unique recipes, and enjoy a delicious meal prepared by your own hands. It’s a great way to spend time with friends or family while honing your cooking abilities.
- Attend a Glen Ellyn Civic Center Event: The Glen Ellyn Civic Center hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including cultural performances, lectures, and community gatherings. Check their schedule to see if any events align with your interests and plan to attend for an enriching experience.
- Explore Churchill Woods Forest Preserve: Nature lovers can venture into the nearby Churchill Woods Forest Preserve. With its picturesque trails and serene surroundings, it’s an ideal spot for hiking, bird-watching, and reconnecting with nature. Bring a picnic and make a day of it in this peaceful outdoor haven.
- Participate in Glen Ellyn’s Annual Pet Parade: If you’re an animal lover, don’t miss the annual Pet Parade in Glen Ellyn. A community favorite, this event allows residents and visitors to showcase their pets in a lively and entertaining parade. It’s a delightful experience for families and pet enthusiasts alike.
Conclusion: Glen Ellyn, Illinois, has much to offer for those seeking a blend of history, culture, and outdoor activities. Whether you’re exploring the village’s historical sites, enjoying the arts, or simply basking in the natural beauty of the area, Glen Ellyn invites you to discover the hidden gems that make it a unique and welcoming destination. Plan your trip, and embark on a journey of exploration and enjoyment in this charming Illinois village.