Nestled in the heart of Indiana, Goshen is a charming city that boasts a rich history, vibrant culture, and a welcoming community. If you find yourself in this delightful corner of the state, you’re in for a treat. From cultural attractions to outdoor adventures, Goshen has something for everyone. In this guide, we’ll explore the top things to do in Goshen, ensuring your visit is filled with memorable experiences.
Things To Do In Goshen
- Explore the Goshen Historic District: Goshen’s Historic District is a treasure trove of architectural wonders and timeless charm. Take a leisurely stroll through the tree-lined streets and admire the well-preserved 19th-century buildings. Don’t miss the iconic courthouse square, where you can step back in time and appreciate the city’s history.
- Visit the Elkhart County Historical Museum: Immerse yourself in the fascinating history of Goshen and the surrounding region at the Elkhart County Historical Museum. Housed in a beautiful Beaux-Arts-style building, the museum showcases exhibits and artifacts that tell the story of the area’s development, making it a must-visit for history enthusiasts.
- Amish Acres: Experience Simple Living: Goshen is surrounded by Amish country, and a visit to Amish Acres provides an authentic glimpse into Amish life. Tour the Amish farmstead, take a buggy ride, and savor homestyle cooking at the on-site restaurant. It’s a peaceful retreat that offers a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of modern life.
- Enjoy the Outdoors at Shanklin Park: For those seeking outdoor recreation, Shanklin Park is a local favorite. With its scenic walking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas, it’s the perfect spot for a family day out or a peaceful solo retreat. The park also features a disc golf course for those looking to engage in a bit of friendly competition.
- Art and Culture at the Goshen Theater: The Goshen Theater, a beautifully restored historic venue, hosts a variety of cultural events, including concerts, plays, and film screenings. Check the schedule to see what’s happening during your visit and immerse yourself in the local arts scene.
- Indulge in Local Flavors: Goshen’s culinary scene is diverse and delightful. Explore local eateries, cafes, and bakeries that showcase the best of the region’s flavors. Whether you’re in the mood for classic American fare or international cuisine, Goshen has something to satisfy every palate.
- Join the Goshen First Fridays Celebration: If your visit coincides with the first Friday of the month, don’t miss the Goshen First Fridays celebration. The downtown area comes alive with live music, art exhibits, and special events. It’s a fantastic opportunity to mingle with locals and experience the community spirit.
- Attend the Michiana Renaissance Festival: If you’re in Goshen during the summer, consider attending the Michiana Renaissance Festival. This annual event transports visitors to a bygone era with jousting tournaments, period costumes, and lively entertainment, providing a unique and immersive experience.
- Goshen Brewing Company: Craft beer enthusiasts should make a beeline for the Goshen Brewing Company. This local brewery not only offers a variety of handcrafted beers but also features a warm and inviting atmosphere. Take a brewery tour, sample their brews, and enjoy live music on select nights.
- Hike the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail: Nature lovers will appreciate the scenic beauty of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail. This 17-mile trail winds through picturesque landscapes, including woodlands, wetlands, and farmlands. Whether you prefer biking, hiking, or a leisurely stroll, the trail provides a tranquil escape.
- Goshen Farmers Market: Immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring the Goshen Farmers Market. Open seasonally, the market showcases fresh produce, artisanal crafts, and local delicacies. It’s an excellent opportunity to support local businesses and enjoy the vibrant community spirit.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: For a truly unique and unforgettable experience, consider taking a hot air balloon ride over the scenic landscapes of Goshen. Several local companies offer hot air balloon tours, providing a breathtaking perspective of the city and its surroundings.
- Goshen College Music Center: Check the schedule at the Goshen College Music Center for concerts and performances. The center hosts a variety of musical events, including classical, jazz, and contemporary performances, showcasing the talent of local and visiting artists.
- River Rafting on the Elkhart River: Thrill-seekers can head to the Elkhart River for an exciting river rafting adventure. Several outfitters in the area offer guided rafting trips, providing a perfect blend of adrenaline and natural beauty.
- Art Tour at Goshen Art Alley: Explore Goshen’s vibrant street art scene by taking a self-guided tour through Goshen Art Alley. This outdoor gallery features murals and art installations created by local and regional artists, adding a splash of color and creativity to the city’s streets.
- Elkhart County Fair: If your visit coincides with the annual Elkhart County Fair, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy a classic American fair experience. From carnival rides to live entertainment and delicious fair food, it’s a fun-filled event for visitors of all ages.
- Learn at the National New York Central Railroad Museum: History buffs with an interest in railroads should explore the National New York Central Railroad Museum. This museum showcases the region’s railroad history, featuring vintage locomotives, artifacts, and exhibits that transport visitors back to the golden age of rail travel.
- Experience Goshen’s Art Scene: Goshen boasts a thriving arts community, and art galleries like the Goshen Art House and Ignition Garage regularly feature exhibitions by local and regional artists. Take the time to appreciate the diverse artistic expressions that contribute to the city’s cultural tapestry.
Conclusion: Goshen, Indiana, may be a small city, but it packs a punch when it comes to offering diverse and enjoyable experiences. Whether you’re a history buff, nature enthusiast, or foodie, Goshen has something to captivate your interest. So, plan your trip, immerse yourself in the local culture, and create lasting memories in this charming Midwestern gem.