Nestled in the heart of the Hoosier State, Hammond, Indiana, is a city bursting with character and charm. Known for its rich history, vibrant arts scene, and diverse recreational opportunities, Hammond is a hidden gem waiting to be explored. Whether you’re a local looking for new adventures or a traveler passing through, here’s a curated list of things to do in Hammond that will make your visit unforgettable.
Things To Do In Hammond
- Visit the John Dillinger Museum: Start your journey through Hammond by delving into the fascinating world of notorious gangster John Dillinger at the John Dillinger Museum. Located within the historic Lake County Courthouse, the museum offers an immersive experience, showcasing artifacts and stories from the era of the Great Depression and the notorious gangster’s life.
- Explore Wolf Lake Memorial Park: For outdoor enthusiasts, Wolf Lake Memorial Park is a haven of recreational activities. From hiking and birdwatching to picnicking by the lake, this expansive park offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. The park also hosts various events and festivals throughout the year, providing a lively atmosphere for visitors of all ages.
- Immerse Yourself in Arts and Culture at Towle Theater: Hammond boasts a thriving arts scene, and the Towle Theater is at the heart of it. This intimate venue showcases a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts. Check their schedule to catch a live show and immerse yourself in the local arts and culture scene.
- Indulge in Culinary Delights at 18th Street Brewery: Craft beer enthusiasts and foodies alike will find solace at the 18th Street Brewery. This local gem not only offers a diverse selection of craft beers but also features a menu with mouthwatering dishes. Enjoy a laid-back atmosphere and live music while savoring the unique flavors of Hammond.
- Experience Hammond’s Historic District: Take a stroll through Hammond’s Historic District, where charming architecture and a sense of nostalgia transport you back in time. Explore local shops, cafes, and art galleries, appreciating the city’s commitment to preserving its historical heritage.
- Attend the Festival of the Lakes: If your visit coincides with the summer months, don’t miss the Festival of the Lakes. This annual event features live music, carnival rides, and a spectacular fireworks display over Wolf Lake. It’s a family-friendly celebration that captures the essence of community spirit in Hammond.
- Learn and Play at Challenger Learning Center: For a unique educational experience, visit the Challenger Learning Center. Offering hands-on science and space-themed activities, this center is perfect for families and aspiring astronauts alike. Engage in interactive exhibits and simulated space missions that make learning a thrilling adventure.
- Discover Nature at Gibson Woods Nature Preserve: Nature enthusiasts will find solace at the Gibson Woods Nature Preserve. With its well-maintained trails and diverse ecosystems, this preserve is a haven for birdwatching, hiking, and photography. Enjoy the serene beauty of nature and escape into the tranquility of the woodlands.
- Shop and Dine in Downtown Hammond: Experience the vibrant energy of Downtown Hammond, where you can explore local boutiques, art galleries, and eclectic shops. After a shopping spree, indulge in diverse culinary delights at the local restaurants and cafes, offering everything from gourmet cuisine to comfort food.
- Attend a Hammond Symphony Orchestra Performance: For a refined cultural experience, attend a performance by the Hammond Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra showcases classical and contemporary music, providing a delightful auditory experience for music lovers. Check their schedule for upcoming concerts and immerse yourself in the world of symphonic sounds.
- Gamble at Horseshoe Hammond Casino: If you’re feeling lucky, head to the Horseshoe Hammond Casino for a night of entertainment. With a wide array of gaming options, live shows, and delicious dining choices, the casino offers a lively atmosphere for those seeking a bit of excitement.
- Participate in the Festival of the Pheasant: Animal lovers and outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate the Festival of the Pheasant, a celebration of wildlife conservation. Held at the Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve, this festival features guided birdwatching tours, educational programs, and the opportunity to witness the natural beauty of the region.
- Explore the Jean Shepherd Community Center: The Jean Shepherd Community Center is a hub for recreational activities, offering facilities for sports, fitness, and community events. Whether you want to shoot some hoops, take a fitness class, or attend a community gathering, this center has something for everyone.
- Attend the Wolf Lake Bi-State Wetlands Demonstration Project: Gain insights into environmental conservation by visiting the Wolf Lake Bi-State Wetlands Demonstration Project. This initiative focuses on restoring and preserving wetlands, providing educational programs and guided tours to raise awareness about the importance of wetland ecosystems.
- Enjoy a Scenic Bike Ride on the Erie Lackawanna Trail: Embrace the outdoors by taking a leisurely bike ride along the Erie Lackawanna Trail. This scenic trail winds through picturesque landscapes, offering a perfect opportunity to enjoy the fresh air and natural beauty of Hammond.
Conclusion: Hammond, Indiana, is a city that blends history, culture, and outdoor adventures seamlessly. From exploring the legacy of John Dillinger to immersing yourself in the local arts scene, Hammond offers a diverse range of activities for every interest. So, pack your bags and get ready to uncover the hidden gems of Hammond, where each experience promises to leave you with lasting memories.