Nestled against the stunning backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, Longmont, Colorado, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a foodie, or a history buff, Longmont has something to offer everyone. In this guide, we’ll explore the top things to do in Longmont, ensuring you make the most of your visit to this charming city.
- Wander through Historic Downtown Longmont: Start your journey by exploring the historic heart of Longmont. The downtown area is lined with red-brick buildings housing unique boutiques, art galleries, and cozy cafes. Take a leisurely stroll along Main Street, where you’ll find a mix of historic architecture and modern charm.
- Visit the Longmont Museum: Dive into Longmont’s rich history and culture at the Longmont Museum. From engaging exhibits on local history to art displays and educational programs, the museum offers a fascinating look into the past and present of this vibrant community.
- Bike the St. Vrain Greenway: For outdoor enthusiasts, the St. Vrain Greenway provides a scenic path for walking, running, or biking. The trail winds along the St. Vrain Creek, offering breathtaking views of the mountains and providing a peaceful escape into nature.
- Indulge in Craft Beer Culture: Longmont has become a hub for craft breweries, and no visit is complete without experiencing the local beer scene. Stop by renowned breweries like Left Hand Brewing Company or Wibby Brewing for a taste of the city’s craft beer culture.
- Explore the Agricultural Heritage Center: Gain insight into Longmont’s agricultural roots at the Agricultural Heritage Center. Located on a historic farm, this center showcases the region’s farming history through exhibits, live demonstrations, and seasonal events.
- Discover Art in Public Places: Longmont takes pride in its commitment to public art. As you explore the city, keep an eye out for sculptures, murals, and installations that add a creative touch to public spaces. The Art in Public Places program reflects Longmont’s dedication to fostering a vibrant arts community.
- Hike at Button Rock Preserve: Escape into nature by hiking the trails at Button Rock Preserve. This scenic area offers a variety of trails, leading to serene lakes and offering glimpses of local wildlife. It’s an ideal spot for a day of outdoor adventure.
- Savor Local Flavors at the Farmers Market: If you’re visiting during the warmer months, don’t miss the Longmont Farmers Market. Held on Saturdays, this market showcases local produce, handmade crafts, and a variety of delicious treats. It’s a fantastic way to support local businesses and experience the community spirit.
- Admire Public Art at Roosevelt Park: Take a trip to Roosevelt Park, not just for its green spaces and recreational facilities, but also for its impressive public art installations. The park often hosts events and festivals, providing a lively atmosphere for both locals and visitors.
- Attend a Performance at the Dickens Opera House: Immerse yourself in Longmont’s cultural scene by attending a performance at the Dickens Opera House. This historic venue hosts a variety of events, including live music, comedy shows, and theatrical performances, all within the charming ambiance of a restored 1881 opera house.
- Experience Agricultural Tourism at Ya Ya Farm & Orchard: Enjoy a day of agricultural tourism at Ya Ya Farm & Orchard. This family-owned farm offers seasonal activities like apple picking, pumpkin patches, and farm-to-table events. It’s a delightful way to connect with the local farming community and savor fresh, locally grown produce.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Elevate your Longmont experience with a hot air balloon ride. Soar above the city and take in breathtaking panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains. Several local companies offer balloon rides, providing a unique perspective of Longmont and its surrounding landscapes.
- Visit the Dougherty Museum: Automobile enthusiasts will appreciate the Dougherty Museum, which showcases a remarkable collection of antique cars, trucks, and other vintage vehicles. The museum offers a nostalgic journey through automotive history, making it a must-visit for those with a passion for classic automobiles.
- Participate in Outdoor Recreation at Union Reservoir: Union Reservoir is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Engage in water sports like paddleboarding, kayaking, or fishing. The reservoir’s scenic beauty and well-maintained grounds also make it an ideal spot for picnics and family gatherings.
- Sip and Paint at Crackpots Pottery Studio: Unleash your artistic side at Crackpots Pottery Studio. Enjoy a relaxing evening of painting pottery and creating your own unique masterpiece. It’s a fantastic activity for individuals, couples, or groups looking to express their creativity in a fun and laid-back setting.
- Sample Local Cuisine at Rosalee’s Pizzeria: Longmont boasts a diverse culinary scene, and a visit to Rosalee’s Pizzeria is a must for pizza lovers. This local gem offers delicious wood-fired pizzas with fresh and locally sourced ingredients, providing a true taste of Longmont’s culinary excellence.
- Attend Longmont’s Annual Events: Check the local calendar for Longmont’s annual events, such as the Longmont Oktoberfest, the Longmont Fireworks Display on the 4th of July, and the Longmont ArtWalk. These events showcase the community’s spirit and provide additional opportunities to connect with locals.
Conclusion: Longmont, Colorado, invites you to explore its unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re immersing yourself in the downtown scene, indulging in craft beer, or hiking through picturesque landscapes, Longmont promises a memorable experience for every traveler. Plan your visit to this captivating city, and you’re sure to discover the countless hidden treasures it has to offer.