Nestled in the heart of Colorado, Montrose is a picturesque town that often flies under the radar of mainstream travel destinations. However, those who venture off the beaten path are rewarded with a treasure trove of natural beauty, outdoor adventures, and cultural experiences. In this guide, we’ll unveil the hidden gems and share a curated list of things to do in Montrose, Colorado.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park: Montrose is gateway to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, a geological marvel renowned for its deep, sheer-walled gorge. Hiking trails offer stunning vistas, and the South Rim Drive provides access to several overlooks. Photography enthusiasts will find endless opportunities to capture the canyon’s dramatic landscapes.
- Curecanti National Recreation Area: Adventure awaits at Curecanti, where the Gunnison River flows through a series of reservoirs. Water enthusiasts can indulge in activities such as boating, fishing, and paddleboarding. The Blue Mesa Reservoir, Colorado’s largest body of water, is a serene spot for relaxation and water-based recreation.
- Montrose Water Sports Park: For a more adrenaline-fueled aquatic experience, head to the Montrose Water Sports Park. Kayakers and paddleboarders will relish the challenges presented by the engineered whitewater features. It’s an excellent place for both beginners and experienced water enthusiasts.
- Ute Indian Museum: Delve into the rich cultural history of the region by visiting the Ute Indian Museum. Gain insight into the Ute people’s heritage through exhibits, artifacts, and educational programs. The museum provides a meaningful connection to the area’s indigenous roots.
- Historic Downtown Montrose: Stroll through the charming streets of historic downtown Montrose, where Victorian architecture meets modern charm. Explore local boutiques, art galleries, and cafes. The town hosts events throughout the year, so check the calendar for festivals, farmers’ markets, and live music.
- Bridges Golf & Country Club: Golf enthusiasts will find their haven at the Bridges Golf & Country Club. This scenic course boasts breathtaking views of the San Juan Mountains and offers a challenging yet enjoyable golfing experience. The well-maintained facilities and welcoming atmosphere make it a must-visit for golf aficionados.
- Montrose Botanic Gardens: Take a leisurely stroll through the Montrose Botanic Gardens, a serene oasis showcasing a variety of plants and flowers. The gardens are not only a visual delight but also serve as an educational resource for horticulture enthusiasts.
- Fly Fishing on the Uncompahgre River: Unleash your inner angler by trying your hand at fly fishing on the Uncompahgre River. The river is renowned for its trout, providing a peaceful and scenic setting for both beginners and experienced anglers.
- Explore the Montrose County Historical Museum: Uncover the stories of Montrose’s past by visiting the Montrose County Historical Museum. This repository of local history showcases artifacts, photographs, and exhibits that provide a fascinating glimpse into the town’s evolution.
- Visit the Museum of the Mountain West: For a journey back in time, the Museum of the Mountain West is a must-visit. This living history museum features over 500,000 artifacts, including authentic buildings and memorabilia from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, giving visitors a taste of the Old West.
- Ride the Montrose Waterfall Canyons Loop: Embark on a scenic drive along the Montrose Waterfall Canyons Loop. This picturesque route takes you through breathtaking canyons, past cascading waterfalls, and offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. It’s a perfect way to appreciate the natural beauty of the region.
- Attend the Montrose Summer Music Series: If you’re a music lover, plan your visit during the Montrose Summer Music Series. This vibrant event brings the community together with live music performances in various genres. Pack a picnic, relax in the open air, and soak up the sounds of local and regional artists.
- Hike the Uncompahgre Plateau: Outdoor enthusiasts can extend their adventures by hiking the trails of the Uncompahgre Plateau. With a variety of routes catering to different skill levels, the plateau offers a unique perspective of the region’s diverse ecosystems, from high desert landscapes to lush forests.
- Montrose Farmer’s Market: Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the Montrose Farmer’s Market. Held regularly, this market showcases fresh produce, handmade crafts, and local delicacies. It’s an excellent opportunity to support local farmers and artisans while enjoying the vibrant community atmosphere.
- Mountain Biking at the Montrose Bike Park: For those seeking an adrenaline rush, the Montrose Bike Park is a haven for mountain biking enthusiasts. The park features a variety of trails suitable for different skill levels, making it a fantastic destination for riders of all abilities.
- Stargazing at the Black Canyon Astronomy Festival: If you’re visiting in late September, don’t miss the Black Canyon Astronomy Festival. Hosted at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, this event offers a unique opportunity to explore the night sky with astronomers, attend educational programs, and marvel at the beauty of the cosmos.
- Hot Air Balloon Festival: Experience Montrose from new heights by attending the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival. Watch the sky come alive with vibrant colors as dozens of hot air balloons take flight, creating a breathtaking spectacle against the backdrop of the Colorado landscape.
- Photography Excursion to Dallas Divide: Capture the beauty of the changing seasons by taking a photography excursion to Dallas Divide. This scenic location, especially stunning during the fall when aspen trees turn golden, provides endless opportunities for capturing the essence of Colorado’s natural beauty.
Conclusion: Montrose, Colorado, may not be the first destination that comes to mind, but it’s a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re an outdoor adventurer, history buff, or simply seeking a tranquil escape, Montrose offers a diverse range of experiences. From the majestic canyons to the cultural richness of its museums, this charming town invites you to explore the uncharted and create lasting memories in the heart of Colorado.