Nestled in the picturesque landscapes of Connecticut, Shelton is a hidden gem that boasts a unique blend of natural beauty, rich history, and vibrant culture. If you find yourself in the area, there’s a plethora of activities to enjoy. In this guide, we’ll explore the best things to do in Shelton, Connecticut, ensuring you make the most of your visit.
- Explore the Shelton History Center: Dive into Shelton’s rich past by visiting the Shelton History Center. Located in a beautifully preserved historic building, the center showcases the evolution of this charming town through exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays. Gain insights into the industries that shaped Shelton, from its early days to the present.
- Hiking at Indian Well State Park: Nature enthusiasts will find solace in the breathtaking Indian Well State Park. Just a short drive from Shelton, this state park offers hiking trails, picnicking areas, and, of course, the stunning Indian Well Falls. Pack a picnic, lace up your hiking boots, and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature.
- Visit Jones Family Farms: For a delightful family-friendly experience, head to Jones Family Farms. Depending on the season, you can pick your own strawberries, blueberries, or pumpkins. The farm also hosts events throughout the year, making it a fantastic destination for both locals and visitors alike.
- Golf at Brownson Country Club: Golf enthusiasts will appreciate the pristine greens of Brownson Country Club. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a casual player, this 18-hole golf course offers a challenging yet enjoyable experience. The lush surroundings and well-maintained fairways make it a favorite among locals.
- Art and Culture at the Slavko’s Harbor: Immerse yourself in the local art scene at Slavko’s Harbor. This cultural hub hosts art exhibitions, live performances, and workshops, showcasing the creative spirit of Shelton. Check the schedule for upcoming events to ensure you catch a glimpse of the town’s artistic flair.
- Dining at Local Hotspots: Shelton’s culinary scene is diverse and satisfying. From quaint cafes to upscale restaurants, there’s something to suit every palate. Don’t miss the chance to savor local flavors and indulge in the warm hospitality that characterizes Shelton’s dining establishments.
- Scenic Drive Along the Housatonic River: Take a leisurely drive along the Housatonic River for stunning views and a relaxing experience. The scenic route offers glimpses of Shelton’s natural beauty, making it a perfect way to unwind and appreciate the town from a different perspective.
- Climb at Prime Climb: Adventure seekers can test their climbing skills at Prime Climb, an indoor rock climbing gym in Shelton. Perfect for climbers of all levels, the facility offers a safe and challenging environment. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced climber, Prime Climb provides a thrilling experience for all.
- Shop at Shelton Square Shopping Center: Indulge in a bit of retail therapy at the Shelton Square Shopping Center. Featuring a variety of shops, boutiques, and eateries, it’s a great place to explore the local retail scene. Discover unique finds, grab a coffee, and enjoy a leisurely day of shopping.
- Attend Events at the Shelton Riverwalk: The Shelton Riverwalk is not just a scenic path along the Housatonic River; it’s also a hub for community events. Check the local calendar for festivals, markets, and concerts that frequently take place here. Joining in on these events allows you to connect with the community and experience the town’s lively atmosphere.
- Kayaking on the Housatonic River: For water enthusiasts, kayaking on the Housatonic River is a must. Bring your own kayak or rent one locally to paddle along the gentle currents, enjoying the peaceful surroundings and possibly spotting some local wildlife. It’s a serene way to experience Shelton’s natural beauty.
- Taste Local Brews at Brewport Tap House: Craft beer lovers should make a stop at Brewport Tap House, a local brewery offering a wide selection of beers. Enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, grab a flight to sample different brews, and perhaps pair it with some delicious pub fare.
- Attend a Performance at Center Stage Theatre: Check the schedule at Center Stage Theatre for a dose of performing arts. This community theater often hosts plays, musicals, and other live performances. It’s a great way to support local talent and immerse yourself in the cultural scene of Shelton.
- Picnic at Veterans Memorial Park: Pack a picnic basket and head to Veterans Memorial Park for a day of relaxation. With ample green spaces, picnic tables, and a playground for the kids, it’s an ideal spot for families and friends to unwind and enjoy the outdoors.
- Learn at the Kellogg Environmental Center: The Kellogg Environmental Center, located nearby in Derby, offers educational programs and exhibits focused on environmental conservation and history. Explore the informative displays and participate in scheduled programs to gain a deeper understanding of the local ecosystem.
Shelton, Connecticut, may be a small town, but its charm and attractions are anything but limited. From delving into its history to embracing the beauty of nature, Shelton offers a diverse range of activities for every visitor. Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor enthusiast, or a foodie, Shelton invites you to explore its unique treasures and create lasting memories.