Nestled within the heart of Southern California, Pomona is a vibrant city that offers a myriad of exciting activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. From its rich cultural scene to its beautiful parks and historic sites, there’s no shortage of things to do in Pomona. Whether you’re a local looking for new adventures or a traveler passing through, here’s a comprehensive guide to help you make the most of your time in this captivating city.
1. Explore the Rich History: Begin your journey by delving into Pomona’s history. The Phillips Mansion, a historic Victorian-style home turned museum, offers an intimate glimpse into the city’s past. Admire the elegant architecture and period furnishings as you learn about the influential Phillips family and their impact on the area.
2. Wander the Art Scene: Pomona’s art scene is alive and thriving, with the Pomona Arts Colony at its core. Stroll down Second Street and discover a vibrant array of galleries, studios, and public art installations. Don’t miss the monthly Art Walk, where you can engage with local artists, enjoy live music, and explore the dynamic art exhibits.
3. Visit the Fairplex: A visit to Pomona wouldn’t be complete without experiencing the world-famous Fairplex, home to the LA County Fair and an array of year-round events. From exhilarating car shows to diverse expos, there’s always something happening at this sprawling complex.
4. Enjoy Nature’s Beauty: Embrace the outdoors at the stunning Bonelli Regional Park. With a picturesque lake as its centerpiece, the park offers activities like fishing, boating, hiking, and picnicking. For a unique adventure, try your hand at paddleboarding on the tranquil waters.
5. Learn at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum: Car enthusiasts will revel in a trip to the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum. Here, you can immerse yourself in the history of drag racing and marvel at a collection of iconic vehicles that have left their mark on the sport.
6. Explore Western University: Discover the serene beauty of the Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology located at Western University. This unique museum houses a fascinating collection of prehistoric specimens, making it a must-visit for anyone intrigued by Earth’s history.
7. Savor Culinary Delights: Pomona’s culinary scene reflects the city’s diversity. Explore Downtown Pomona for a range of dining options, from global cuisine to innovative fusion dishes. Don’t forget to visit the Pomona Farmers Market for fresh produce, artisanal products, and a true taste of the community.
8. Attend Live Performances: Immerse yourself in live entertainment at the historic Fox Theater Pomona. This venue hosts an array of performances, from concerts by renowned artists to theatrical productions, ensuring there’s always something exciting happening on stage.
9. Discover Innovation at Cal Poly Pomona: Visit California State Polytechnic University, Pomona to explore its beautiful campus and witness innovation in action. The Bronco Exhibit Gallery often showcases student work, providing insight into the creative and technical achievements of the university’s students.
10. Day Trip to the Claremont Village: Just a stone’s throw away from Pomona, the charming Claremont Village beckons with boutique shops, quaint cafes, and a delightful small-town atmosphere. Take a leisurely stroll through the streets, explore the boutiques, and indulge in a relaxing afternoon.
11. Pomona Antique Row: If you’re a fan of antiques and vintage treasures, make sure to explore Antique Row in Pomona. This charming district is lined with antique shops, vintage boutiques, and collectibles stores, offering a wide array of unique and nostalgic finds.
12. Latino Art Museum: Immerse yourself in the vibrant world of Latino art at the Latino Art Museum. This cultural gem showcases contemporary and traditional artworks from Latin American artists, providing insights into the diverse cultures and perspectives that shape the region.
13. Ganesha Park: Escape the city buzz at Ganesha Park, a serene oasis where you can enjoy a relaxing stroll, have a picnic, or partake in recreational activities such as basketball, tennis, and jogging. The park’s picturesque views and calming ambiance make it a favorite spot for locals and visitors alike.
14. Pomona College Museum of Art: Art enthusiasts will appreciate the Pomona College Museum of Art, a thought-provoking institution that houses a collection of modern and contemporary artworks. With its rotating exhibitions and engaging programs, the museum offers a dynamic cultural experience.
15. Pomona Valley Mining Company: Indulge in a unique dining experience at the Pomona Valley Mining Company. Perched atop a hill, this restaurant offers panoramic views of the city while you savor delicious American cuisine. It’s an ideal spot for a romantic dinner or a special celebration.
16. Fairplex Garden Railroad: For a delightful family-friendly outing, head to the Fairplex Garden Railroad, where you can marvel at intricately detailed model trains traversing charming landscapes. This miniature world is a captivating sight for visitors of all ages.
17. Public Art Tour: Pomona is known for its commitment to public art. Take a self-guided public art tour to discover sculptures, murals, and installations that adorn the city’s streets and buildings. Each piece tells a unique story and contributes to the city’s creative identity.
18. California Botanic Garden: Venture a bit further to the nearby California Botanic Garden in Claremont. This 86-acre sanctuary is dedicated to conserving California’s native plants. Explore themed gardens, nature trails, and educational exhibits that showcase the state’s diverse flora.
19. Auto Club Raceway at Pomona: If you’re a motorsports enthusiast, check out the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. This iconic drag racing venue hosts thrilling events that draw spectators and competitors from around the country. Experience the exhilaration of high-speed races in a world-class facility.
20. Pomona Ebell Museum of History: Dive deeper into Pomona’s history at the Pomona Ebell Museum of History, a treasure trove of artifacts, documents, and exhibits that shed light on the city’s evolution over the years. Gain insights into the people, events, and stories that have shaped Pomona’s identity.
Pomona, California, is a city that seamlessly blends its rich heritage with a contemporary spirit. Whether you’re interested in history, art, nature, or simply enjoying good food, this city has something for everyone. So, pack your bags, set your itinerary, and prepare for a memorable journey through the vibrant tapestry of Pomona.