Nestled in the heart of Delaware, Smyrna is a charming town that seamlessly blends historic charm with modern attractions. From scenic parks and historical sites to vibrant local eateries, Smyrna offers a diverse range of activities for residents and visitors alike. In this guide, we’ll explore the best things to do in Smyrna, Delaware, ensuring you make the most of your time in this hidden gem.
- Take a Stroll Through Historic Smyrna: Smyrna boasts a rich history, and a leisurely stroll through its historic district is a must for history enthusiasts. Explore the cobblestone streets lined with well-preserved colonial-era homes, visit the Old Town Hall, and immerse yourself in the town’s fascinating past.
- Visit the Smyrna Museum: Gain deeper insights into Smyrna’s history by visiting the Smyrna Museum. This small but informative museum showcases artifacts, photographs, and exhibits that highlight the town’s evolution over the years. It’s a great way to connect with the local heritage.
- Hike or Bike at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge: Nature lovers will find solace at the nearby Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge. Boasting over 16,000 acres of tidal salt marshes, this refuge is a haven for birdwatchers and outdoor enthusiasts. Explore the well-maintained trails and keep an eye out for the diverse bird species that call this area home.
- Enjoy a Picnic at Lake Como Park: For a relaxing day outdoors, head to Lake Como Park. Pack a picnic and unwind by the serene lake, surrounded by picturesque scenery. The park offers walking trails, playgrounds, and ample green spaces, making it an ideal spot for families and those looking to escape the hustle and bustle.
- Delight Your Taste Buds at Local Eateries: Smyrna boasts a burgeoning culinary scene with a variety of dining options. Whether you crave classic comfort food, seafood delights, or international cuisine, Smyrna’s restaurants have something for every palate. Be sure to explore local favorites and savor the unique flavors of this charming town.
- Attend Community Events: Immerse yourself in Smyrna’s vibrant community spirit by attending local events. From farmers’ markets to cultural festivals, Smyrna hosts a range of community gatherings throughout the year. Check the town’s event calendar to see if your visit coincides with any exciting happenings.
- Explore the Town’s Boutique Shops: Smyrna’s downtown area is dotted with quaint boutiques and shops, offering a delightful shopping experience. Whether you’re on the hunt for unique gifts, handmade crafts, or vintage finds, the town’s eclectic mix of stores has you covered.
- Take a Day Trip to Delaware’s Beaches: Smyrna’s strategic location allows for easy access to Delaware’s beautiful beaches. Plan a day trip to Rehoboth Beach or Dewey Beach to soak up the sun, stroll along the boardwalk, and enjoy the coastal charm just a short drive away.
- Attend a Performance at the Smyrna Opera House: Dive into the cultural scene of Smyrna by catching a show or performance at the Smyrna Opera House. This beautifully restored venue hosts a variety of events, including live music, theater productions, and community gatherings. Check the schedule for upcoming performances during your visit.
- Play a Round of Golf at Garrison’s Lake Golf Club: Golf enthusiasts can tee off at the Garrison’s Lake Golf Club. This 18-hole course is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, offering both a challenging game for seasoned golfers and a welcoming environment for beginners. Enjoy a day on the greens in the heart of Delaware.
- Explore Historic Sites Like Belmont Hall: Belmont Hall, a historic Georgian mansion, is a must-visit for those interested in colonial architecture and history. Take a guided tour to learn about the mansion’s significance and the prominent figures who once walked its halls. The well-preserved gardens are also a delightful spot for a leisurely stroll.
- Join a Kayaking Adventure on the Smyrna River: For a more adventurous experience, consider kayaking on the Smyrna River. Several local outfitters offer kayak rentals and guided tours, allowing you to explore the waterways and observe the local wildlife from a unique perspective.
- Attend a Farmers’ Market: Experience Smyrna’s agricultural bounty by visiting one of its farmers’ markets. Sample fresh, locally grown produce, homemade goods, and artisanal products. Engaging with local vendors provides a taste of the community’s agricultural heritage.
- Discover Hidden Gems in Antique Shops: Smyrna is home to charming antique shops where you can uncover hidden treasures. Spend some time browsing through vintage furniture, collectibles, and unique finds. Whether you’re a serious collector or just enjoy a good bargain, Smyrna’s antique stores have something for everyone.
- Participate in Seasonal Festivals: Smyrna hosts a variety of seasonal festivals and events that celebrate local culture and traditions. Whether it’s a fall harvest festival, a summer concert series, or a holiday celebration, joining in these festivities is a great way to connect with the community.
- Take a Scenic Drive Along Delaware’s Byways: Hit the road and explore the scenic byways surrounding Smyrna. The Delaware Bayshore Byway, for example, offers breathtaking views of the bay, wetlands, and historic sites. Plan a leisurely drive to appreciate the natural beauty of the region.
- Join a Workshop or Class: Embrace your creative side by participating in a workshop or class offered by local artisans. Whether it’s pottery, painting, or cooking, engaging in hands-on activities adds a personal touch to your Smyrna experience.
- Visit Nearby Historic Towns: Smyrna’s location makes it a convenient starting point for exploring other historic towns in the area. Consider taking short day trips to places like Dover, the state capital, or Odessa, another charming town with well-preserved architecture.
Smyrna, Delaware, may be a small town, but it packs a punch when it comes to things to see and do. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying good food, Smyrna has something to offer every visitor. Take your time to explore the town’s hidden gems and create lasting memories in this welcoming Delaware community.