Nestled in the picturesque northeastern corner of California, Susanville is a charming town that beckons travelers with its serene landscapes, rich history, and a myriad of outdoor and cultural activities. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, history buff, or simply seeking a peaceful getaway, Susanville has something to offer for everyone. In this article, we’ll delve into a comprehensive list of things to do in Susanville, California, that will make your visit unforgettable.
1. Lassen Volcanic National Park: A Geothermal Wonderland: Start your adventure by exploring the captivating wonders of Lassen Volcanic National Park, located just a short drive from Susanville. Marvel at the geothermal features, including bubbling mud pots, sulfur vents, and the iconic Bumpass Hell. The park also boasts hiking trails catering to various levels, offering breathtaking views of volcanic landscapes and pristine alpine lakes.
2. Outdoor Adventures Galore: For the outdoor enthusiast, Susanville delivers an array of activities. Go hiking, biking, or horseback riding on the extensive network of trails, such as the Bizz Johnson National Recreation Trail, which winds through scenic canyons and lush forests. Fishing, camping, and kayaking opportunities abound in the nearby lakes and rivers, allowing you to immerse yourself in nature’s beauty.
3. Historic Roop Street: Stroll down Roop Street, Susanville’s historic main street, lined with charming boutiques, art galleries, and local eateries. The street exudes a welcoming small-town atmosphere, perfect for leisurely shopping and dining experiences. Don’t forget to check out the Lassen Historical Museum, where you can delve into the town’s intriguing history.
4. Eagle Lake: A Serene Retreat: Eagle Lake, one of the largest natural freshwater lakes in California, is a true gem for those seeking tranquility. Spend a day fishing for trophy-sized trout, relish the stunning vistas, or take a leisurely hike around the lake’s shores. The lake’s unique turquoise waters make it an idyllic spot for photography and relaxation.
5. Annual Events and Festivals: Immerse yourself in the local culture by timing your visit with one of Susanville’s vibrant annual events. The Lassen County Fair showcases agricultural heritage, while the Lassen County Arts Council hosts art exhibits and performances, allowing you to connect with the creative spirit of the town.
6. Diamond Mountain Casino: Try Your Luck: If you’re feeling lucky, head over to the Diamond Mountain Casino for a dose of entertainment. The casino offers a variety of gaming options, as well as live music and dining choices, making it a fun evening destination.
7. Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon: Cheers to Craft Brews: Unwind and indulge in local flavors at the Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon. This historic saloon offers a warm and rustic ambiance, complemented by a selection of handcrafted beers and delicious comfort food. It’s a perfect spot to relax after a day of exploring.
8. Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area: Riverside Bliss: Venture south of Susanville to the Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area, where the Eel River meanders through towering redwoods. Enjoy a day of swimming, picnicking, and tubing along the river’s gentle currents. The shaded trails are perfect for a leisurely hike, allowing you to immerse yourself in the lush forest surroundings.
9. Susanville Ranch Park: Nature in the Heart of the City: Explore the Susanville Ranch Park, a sprawling urban park that offers a blend of natural beauty and recreational opportunities. Hike or bike through the network of trails that wind through meadows, wetlands, and woodlands. Keep an eye out for local wildlife, and don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the picturesque vistas.
10. Biking Adventures: Mountain Biking and More: For mountain biking enthusiasts, Susanville is a paradise. The Bizz Johnson National Recreation Trail is not only great for hiking but also offers an exhilarating mountain biking experience. Feel the rush as you navigate through tunnels, over bridges, and along the beautiful Susan River Canyon.
11. Susanville Symphony Society: Melodies in the Mountains: If you’re a fan of classical music, check out the performances by the Susanville Symphony Society. This community-driven organization brings together talented musicians for orchestral concerts that resonate with the town’s artistic spirit.
12. Honey Lake Valley Community Farmers Market: Local Flavors and Crafts: Immerse yourself in the local community by visiting the Honey Lake Valley Community Farmers Market. Sample fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts while mingling with locals. It’s a great way to support local businesses and discover the region’s flavors.
13. Ghost Tours: Unearth Susanville’s History: Embark on a guided ghost tour and delve into the mysterious history of Susanville. Walk through the town’s historic sites as knowledgeable guides share tales of the past, providing a unique perspective on the area’s rich heritage.
14. Snowshoeing and Winter Wonderland: If you visit Susanville during the winter months, embrace the snow-covered landscape by engaging in snowshoeing adventures. Lassen National Forest offers trails for all skill levels, allowing you to experience the magic of the region’s winter wonderland.
15. Westwood Historical Society Museum: Time Travel Through Exhibits: Make a short trip to nearby Westwood and explore the Westwood Historical Society Museum. This quaint museum showcases the history of the region through artifacts, photographs, and exhibits that provide insights into the area’s past.
16. Road Trips: Discover Nearby Gems: Susanville serves as a perfect starting point for road trips to nearby attractions. Consider visiting the captivating Burney Falls, the enchanting Lake Almanor, or the historic city of Quincy for a broader exploration of the region’s beauty.
Conclusion: Susanville, California, is an often-overlooked destination that promises an array of activities and experiences for every type of traveler. From the natural wonders of Lassen Volcanic National Park to the small-town charm of Roop Street, and the serene beauty of Eagle Lake, this hidden gem has much to offer. Whether you’re seeking outdoor adventures, cultural immersion, or a peaceful escape, Susanville welcomes you with open arms and promises an unforgettable journey.