Nestled along the banks of the Connecticut River, Windsor is a town that seamlessly blends historical charm with modern allure. As one of the oldest towns in the United States, Windsor boasts a rich history dating back to 1633. Today, it offers a plethora of activities and attractions that cater to diverse interests. Whether you’re a history buff, outdoor enthusiast, or foodie, Windsor has something for everyone. In this guide, we’ll explore the top things to do in this quaint Connecticut town.
- Wander Through Historic Windsor Center: Start your journey by immersing yourself in the heart of Windsor – its historic center. Stroll along the charming streets lined with colonial-style buildings, visit the historic First Church of Windsor, and soak in the ambiance of one of Connecticut’s oldest towns.
- Visit the Windsor Historical Society: Dive deeper into Windsor’s fascinating past by exploring the Windsor Historical Society. Housed in a beautifully preserved 1927 Tudor-style building, the society offers exhibits, artifacts, and guided tours that provide insights into the town’s colonial history.
- Take a Step Back in Time at the Oliver Ellsworth Homestead: History enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the Oliver Ellsworth Homestead. This meticulously preserved 18th-century home was once the residence of Oliver Ellsworth, a key figure in the drafting of the United States Constitution.
- Explore Northwest Park: For those seeking outdoor adventures, Northwest Park is a must-visit. This 473-acre park features walking trails, scenic picnic spots, and opportunities for bird watching. In the winter, the park transforms into a snowy wonderland, offering cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- Indulge in Culinary Delights: Windsor boasts a diverse culinary scene, with a range of eateries offering everything from classic New England fare to international cuisine. Explore the local restaurants and cafes, such as Bart’s Drive-In or Union Street Tavern, to savor delicious dishes in a cozy atmosphere.
- Attend Events at the Windsor Art Center: Art enthusiasts will appreciate the offerings at the Windsor Art Center. Check their calendar for exhibitions, workshops, and cultural events, showcasing the talents of local and regional artists.
- Shop Local at Windsor’s Farmers’ Market: Immerse yourself in the local community by visiting the Windsor Farmers’ Market. Held seasonally, the market offers fresh produce, handmade crafts, and a vibrant atmosphere that reflects the town’s sense of community.
- Relax at the Northwest Park Farmers Market: On Saturdays during the warmer months, the Northwest Park Farmers Market is the place to be. Enjoy fresh produce, artisanal products, and live music in a scenic outdoor setting.
- Discover the Windsor Locks Canal State Park Trail: Lace up your hiking boots or bring your bike for a scenic adventure along the Windsor Locks Canal State Park Trail. This 4.5-mile trail runs alongside the historic Windsor Locks Canal, providing picturesque views of the water and surrounding landscapes.
- Take a Scenic River Cruise: Experience the beauty of the Connecticut River by taking a river cruise. Several tour operators offer relaxing cruises that provide a unique perspective of Windsor and its surroundings. Enjoy the gentle breeze and stunning waterfront scenery.
- Attend a Performance at the Windsor Jesters: For a night of entertainment, check out a production by the Windsor Jesters, a local community theater group. From plays to musicals, their performances showcase local talent and contribute to Windsor’s vibrant arts scene.
- Golf at Keney Park Golf Course: Golf enthusiasts will appreciate a round at Keney Park Golf Course. This historic 18-hole course, designed by Devereux Emmet, offers a challenging yet scenic experience surrounded by the beauty of Keney Park.
- Experience Nature at the Windsor Meadows State Park: Windsor Meadows State Park, located at the confluence of the Farmington and Connecticut Rivers, provides a peaceful escape into nature. Enjoy walking trails, bird watching, or simply relax in the serene surroundings.
- Participate in Windsor’s Annual Shad Derby: If your visit aligns with the season, don’t miss the Windsor Shad Derby, an annual festival celebrating the shad fishing season. The event features a variety of activities, including fishing tournaments, live music, and delicious seafood offerings.
- Explore Windsor’s Public Art Scene: Windsor has a growing public art scene, with murals and sculptures scattered throughout the town. Take a leisurely walk or drive to discover these artistic expressions that contribute to the town’s vibrant and creative atmosphere.
- Attend the Windsor Chamber of Commerce Events: Stay updated on local events hosted by the Windsor Chamber of Commerce. From street fairs to community gatherings, these events provide opportunities to engage with locals and immerse yourself in Windsor’s community spirit.
- Learn at the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum: Delve into the history of communication at the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum. This unique attraction showcases a fascinating collection of vintage radios and equipment, offering a glimpse into the evolution of communication technology.
- Enjoy Family-Friendly Fun at Nomads Adventure Quest: Families with children can spend a fun-filled day at Nomads Adventure Quest. This indoor entertainment complex features activities like laser tag, mini-golf, arcade games, and more, ensuring an enjoyable time for visitors of all ages.
Conclusion: Windsor, Connecticut, is a hidden gem that invites visitors to explore its historical roots and embrace the beauty of its natural surroundings. Whether you’re drawn to the town’s colonial history, outdoor activities, or culinary delights, Windsor offers a delightful blend of experiences for every type of traveler. So, plan your visit to this charming town and discover the unique attractions that make Windsor a destination worth exploring.